Tuesday, July 16, 2013

TV Review Series: The Green Hornet (1966)

If you've been paying attention lately, you know that I've been working on reviewing movies for my 100 Words or Less project. And, because apparently watching every superhero/comic book movie I can get my hands on and reviewing it in 100 words wasn't enough of a challenge and didn't take up enough of my time, I decided to start reviewing TV shows as well. So this is the first in my series of TV reviews, although since these will be fewer and farther between, I'm not going to limit myself to 100 words.

The Green Hornet. I had never seen the show before a week ago, and I was surprised at how well it came across in 2013 as something that was made in 1966. The action took a while to get me buying it, but that was OK, because it wasn't an action-oriented show. And it wasn't an effects-oriented show either, so it doesn't seem too aged by ridiculous-looking effects. The show is oriented around its characters and the detective style story.

The characters are great. Van Williams does an amazing job at portraying these two different personas of Britt Reid and Green Hornet. I buy Britt as a rich playboy, who cares about the newspaper he owns and is an upright citizen. I also buy Green Hornet as a brave hero, masquerading as a villain, and taking the fight right to the criminals, defeating them from the inside. It's amazing, and its that pretend-to-be-villains-but-actually-we're-heroes aspect that I felt the Seth Rogen movie failed to do well. But this show did it wonderfully.

Bruce Lee (before he got famous) wasn't given much to do besides drive and fight, but the guy nailed Kato as a loyal friend and an amazing sidekick.

As for the supporting cast, Wende Wagner as Casey Cast, Reid's secretary never seemed useless. She never seemed like she was there only because she needed to be for the story. She always felt natural and organic, which is impressive for a female role in a hero genre. I think it helped that she wasn't in the role of "love interest" which is usually just a damsel in distress waiting to happen.

Lloyd Gough played Mike Axford, a police reporter, and again, his involvement with the plot always felt natural, and consistent, never forced or awkward. Also, it was somewhat believable that he wouldn't realize Green Hornet and Reid were the same person. Not totally believable, but somewhat.

Walter Brooke as DA Scanlon also always felt natural. Seeing a theme here? Really I think its the writers who deserve the props, because the balance among this cast was great.

I've never had any experience with any other version of Green Hornet except the 2011 film, so this is my go-to source material for right now. I truly think it was a really well-made show that has stood up well over time, despite some less-than-spectacular action and the occasional not-so-special effect. The focus was on the story, and the type of detective work in this show is what I've always felt was missing from Batman films. It seems like with Batman, either the work is ridiculous and campy and makes no logical sense whatsoever, or is so far-fetched and unbelievable, with the excuse (he's Batman) taken too much, that I never buy Batman as a legit detective. But this show did it perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment