Sunday, May 5, 2013

IM3: Slightly Better the 2nd Time Around (Spoilers)

If you haven't yet, read Part I. After this, read Part III.

(Spoilers Below)

So, due in part to my brother and sister wanting to see the movie, and in part because I had 8 free movie passes (5 left) that all expire before any other superhero movie comes out, I saw the film again tonight, and i was able to enjoy it slightly more. Not that I take back anything I said before, that all still stands. But the fact that I was able to enjoy the first two thirds after knowing how poor the last leg was is a good sign.

Things I liked:

Tony Stark:
I loved Tony Stark in this movie. I think this is the best "Tony Stark" movie. And I love the sequences of him fighting without the suit, or without a consistent suit. I love him using his brain. That was all great fun to watch. Thank you RDJ.


Yinsen:
'Nuff said.


Rhodey:
I liked him better than IM2. Still upset about Terrence Howard being gone, but Don Cheadle did more playing Rhodey and less playing Terrence Howard as Rhodey, which was nice. And he had better chemistry with RDJ, not awkward like in IM2.


Pepper:
Loved her in IM1, hated her in IM2, loved her in Avengers, and appreciate her in IM3. I like that this character has some evolution going on, and isn't just another character thrown in the mix (like Happy).


The armor:
I'm glad they didn't spend a ton of time in the film focusing on the new armor and what each one does specifically, because that would have been pointless since they all get blown up. That being said, I would like to have more detail about them in some medium. Short film, comic book, or video game, give me more of that armor. But for the film, I think it was handled well.


The sky-fall scene:
OK, I used a James Bond title to describe the scene, so what? That scene where everyone was falling from the sky was just epic. That's now in my list of favorite superhero scenes, up there with the crane scene from TASM. Goosebumps.


(More) Things I disliked:

The Christmas theme:
Why? Totally out of place. Totally unnecessary. Totally pointless. And totally awkward when the movie comes out in May, and the DVD will come out long before Christmas. Stupid. And distracting.


War Machine/Iron Patriot:
Three films later, this guy is still just a sidekick to Iron Man. Give him things to do. They did it in the tie-in comics, and gave him places to go in this movie, but they were always a false alarm.

Also, I found another piece of bad writing/direction that doesn't make sense. Coldblood steals the Iron Patriot armor and highjacks Air Force One with it. Fine. But then he puts the Pres. into the suit, and it flies back to Killians HQ. Which suggests that it is being remote-controlled. Obs. the Pres. wouldn't fly right into the fire. So its RC. Fine. But then when the Pres. is strung up, Rhodey is able to free it from the wires, take the Pres. out, put himself in, and control it, flying away. What? How? How is it not RC anymore? And if it wasn't, why didn't the Pres just free himself? Stupid stupid stupid.


No mention/connection of the Ten Rings:
(The terrorists, not the actual rings.) Obviously they existed as a real terrorist organization, not just a ruse for Killian, because otherwise they wouldn't need Starks weapons if they could just superheat everything. So that needed to be explained.


Guns:
Not that I mind guns, I don't. But in the movie, you had Extremis soldiers with super strength and the ability to generate extreme heat going around shooting guns. They don't need guns. Then you had Coldblood (the henchman to Killian) highjacking the War Machine armor, with repulsor rays and the gattling gun and all sorts of cool weapons, shooting people with a handgun. Not even the 9mm handgun that was made into part of the suit, just holding the gun with the armored hand shooting it. Stupid. Use cooler weapons when you have them.


Everything else I complained about before:
Especially Mandarin/not Mandarin, and Killian, and the "death" of Killian, and Pepper being so out of character.


No comments:

Post a Comment