Saturday, August 10, 2013

Chicago Comic Con: Day 2

Walked in to the Con. I had my special orange 4-day pass wristband, so I didn't have to wait in line, right? Wrong. Lesson learned.

Spent the first couple of hours buying more toys (I had to make a list of who I bought the day before so that I wouldn't buy them again). Hit up a couple of new booths I had missed before, and revisited some of my favorites.

By 2:00, I was glad I remembered to leave a $20 in my car for parking, because I was down to the last $20 in my wallet. Decided to take my stash to my car, grab my emergency $20 (parking was only $13), and head to the line for Stan Lee.

The photos started at 3. I got to the line at 2:30 and it was already several rows wide. So I took my place and waited.

They said the photos would go fast. I was hoping he'd say hello, ask my name, maybe even shake my hand. Of course, in hindsight, with a man that old, with that many people to see in such a short time, I should have taken the initiative and said hello, but what can I say, I was star struck.

I finally got into the booth around 3:45. They said the photos would go fast, but they didn't say how fast. No "1, 2, 3!" no "ready?" they just took the picture, and hopefully you were looking. It cost $80 (or was it more, I can't remember?) and it lasted three seconds. How much is that per hour?

After that, I went immediately to the line for his autograph. I knew he was taking pictures until 4, so the line wouldn't even move for 15 minutes, but it said he was there til 7, so I figured I'd make it.

After snaking through the bars, getting closer and closer to the table, I finally made it to the penultimate row, the last bar, Stan was four feet from me! And it was 5:00, and Stan had a panel to be at. So I took my number and ran through the labyrinth of lines, hallways, booths, stairs, escalators, and broken escalators (also called stairs). As I was approaching the panel room, Stan (how did he get here before me) was sitting nonchalantly near a door to another room. I walked right by, less than 10 feet from him.

I entered the panel, and Stan came in shortly, and hilarity followed. Typical Stan, rambling on and on. Pure enjoyment for True Believers. As they announced time for one last question, a man approached the mic with a story of gratitude and tragedy, which ended up with him walking on stage, removing his prosthetic leg, which had been painted all Marvel, and having Stan sign his leg. Now go back and read that sentence again.

As the man rambled on, pulling his son and mother on stage with him for more free photos and autographs, I headed back through the maze, and returned to my place in line at 6.

A short while later, Stan returned. Ignoring the sleazebag selling cologne, I finally made it in front of Stan and placed in front of him my copy of his autobiography.

He signed it exactly where I hoped he would, and showed his age (91) as it was clearly difficult for him to see, and to hold his hand steady. (Rumors were passing that he had skipped lunch to keep fans from being turned away). And I stood there, humbled at this man I've looked up to so long, and feeling slightly sorry for him. Many of these people in line were clearly only having him sign something they would later sell. I saw one person put a stack of comics three inches thick in front of him, without speaking. But not me. I thanked him, and he replied to me (of course I can't remember what he said, but he spoke to me!) and went to go get my photo print.

Waiting in line for the print, Lou Ferrigno, the Hulk himself, was walking perpendicular to my line. And he pushed through me to continue on his way. The Hulk butted me in line! For however short a time, however weak a hindrance, I got in the Hulk's way. And I survived. Call me silly, but I felt like Wolverine.

After that, I grabbed a few more Spider-Man villains (using my "emergency $20") and left. Waking through the skybridge, I enjoyed following two people dressed (and in character) as Jay and Silent Bob.

1 comment:

  1. Was at the panel too! Stan is such as gracious man especially when asked if he fashioned any of the women superheroes he had created after any real person(s) he knew, like his wife or his daughter. He answered "No, because I could never make a character as great as my wife or daughter is." And he was sincere and real...not just saying something to sound good. I applaud a man who has been married to his lovely wife for 65 years and still shows love and respect for her.

    ReplyDelete