Thursday, January 31, 2013

My two cents on an actor to play Namor

So, its all but just a matter of time until we get a movie for Namor, the Sub-Mariner (Prince of Atlantis for those of you who don't know). He's been referenced twice in the MCU films (once in IM2 and once in Thor), and the team he's fought with in the 1940s (the Invaders) had another member (the original Human Torch) referenced in CA:TFA.

Ever since I started thinking of a live-action Namor movie, I've had Jason Statham in my mind. I know it's super unlikely to happen, but bear with me. (FYI: My basis for Statham in the following post comes primarily from the Transporter series, the Expendables series, and the Crank series).

1) The hair. OK, I know that Jason Statham is bald(ing) and Namor has hair, but think about this for a minute. Does it really make sense for an underwater monarch to have lots of hair? I mean, its not aerodynamic, or....uh....waterdynamic....it would get in the way of swimming. So, I think that the balding hairstyle actually makes more sense, even though its not exactly sticking to the comics.
2) The accent. Again, this isn't a full-on reason.Obviously it would be impossible to do an authentic "Atlantean" accent (because no such thing exists) but I think Statham's accent and his voice is very distinct, and I think that would work well, rather than a simple American accent. But I know this one is really subjective.
3) The attitude. Namor is a Prince, a nobleman, very self-centered, and very egotistic. But he still (usually) makes some attempt at doing the right thing -- whether that's for his people or for all of Earth isn't always consistent. Statham seems like he could pull off that I'm-right-and-I'm-better-than-you-but-I'll-still-help-you-just-because-I-can-and-I-would-sorta-feel-a-little-bad-if-I-didn't attitude really well (Transporter). More than look or accent this character needs to have the right personality, and Statham fits the bill.
4) The build. Obviously an actor playing the role of a character who's most commonly seen in nothing but a green speedo would have to be physically fit to be taken seriously. Statham has it. 'Nuff said.

There's a lot more here that I can't seem to be able to articulate at this time, but maybe I'll add/update more later. I could really see this happening well though.



2 comments:

  1. I'm drawing blanks on the IM2 and Thor references to Namor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. During the scene in the SHIELD interrogation room in IM2, there was a location indicator on the map in the middle of the ocean, a reference to Atlantis. In the scene in Odins vault in Thor, they briefly show the tablet of life and time, an Atlantean artifact.

      Delete